Website Consulting Services
A web generalist covering all aspects of web development and online marketing, helping organizations of all sizes make their digital business more effective.
User Interface Design
Web System Selection
Types of web projects and services John specialises in:
System selection, implementation, and content migration
John provides independent and unbiased services for researching, requirements gathering, visioning, selecting and implementing web systems such as:
- Content Management Systems (CMS)
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
- Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- Enterprise search engines
- eCommerce enabled websites
- Membership enabled websites
Web project management
John can manage the project budget and keeping things moving to reach deadlines; manage tasks and work with programmers, designers and suppliers; and use agile principles and tools to keep work transparent and moving ahead.
User interface design and usability
John can help you with any aspect of the UID process:
- Functionality requirements gathering – Determining the website redesign project goals, user needs, and functionality requirements.
- Web usability knowledge – Excellent knowledge of general web user behaviors and related guidelines for developing an effective website.
- User analysis – User analysis through group led or online surveys and exercises. These are done with people who work with the users (your staff) or the users themselves. Exercises are used such as card sorting or group affinity diagrams to organize information around user tasks (see the example session John is leading at right).
- Information architecture – Development of the process and/or information flow of the system (i.e. a site flow that shows the hierarchy of the pages).
- Prototyping – Development of wire frames, either in the form of paper prototypes or simple interactive screens. These prototypes are stripped of all look & feel elements and most content in order to concentrate on the interface.
- Usability testing – Testing of prototypes or existing websites on actual users. You can test your own site or a competitors site. Tests include video of users screen sessions with audio of them thinking out load, problems encountered, and recommendations. Can also limit testing to site navigation, structure or graphic designs and layouts. You can supply the users to test or John can obtain them based on demographics.
- Graphic Interface design – John can manage the process of developing the design, working with your designer or one he can provide to develop the actual look & feel of the final graphical user interface (GUI). It may be based on the findings developed during the usability testing or based on communication objectives and styles that would appeal to the user. In rare cases, the graphics may drive the prototyping, depending on the importance of visual form versus function.
- Mobile testing and improvement – Testing websites for performance on mobile phone and tablets and implementing needed improvements.
- Web design for ROI – Working with specific site areas to improve customer conversion rates, using web analytics to measure improvements.
Digital marketing and analytics
John has helped numerous businesses large and small with digital marketing plans, strategies and implementation of:
- Search engine optimisation (SEO)
- Search engine marketing (SEM)
- Social media marketing strategies and campaigns
- Online advertising strategy and campaigns
- Email campaign solutions
- Lead generation campaigns
- Web analytic campaign tracking and report analysis
About John Sharkey
John Sharkey is former webmaster for the University of Central Florida, the U.S.’s largest public university, and former Director of Web Strategy for Rollins College, a leading college in the Southeast U.S.
John has worked with all types of organisations including Aviva Health, NHS England, the University of Oxford, London Metropolitan University, and the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings.
Companies & People I’ve Worked With
“John was fantastic in helping us implement a new CRM system and website over a two year project.“
John was fantastic in helping us implement a new CRM system and website over a two year project. We brought him in for his digital expertise, which we lacked in-house, and John provided invaluable advice, particularly on how to manage a website delivery, and also a lot of hard work! John was a great addition to the project team – he was patient and flexible with our shifting timelines, always good humoured and we quickly learnt to rely on him for his expertise. Now the project has finished we are working with John to improve the SEO on our new site and he has been wonderful in providing seamless support from project end to ongoing website management – it’s really helped staff with the transition to a new system. I have absolutely no reservations recommending John as a consultant for any digital project, he was a real asset to our team and we will miss working with him.
We couldn’t have upgraded the way we did without John’s help. He did a great job of staying on task, keeping the project moving and working with us. He really connected the dots for our project and helped us along the way. An eager endorsement!